The Club’s golden British Grand Prix Trophy has been part of the annual event ever since the first post-war race was staged in 1948. It is still awarded each year to the winner of the British Grand Prix.
The large, ornate trophy is an example of a Victorian, two handled, cup. It is covered with hallmarked sterling silver gilt. The main trophy cup was hallmarked in London in 1871 and the cover in 1899.
Little is known about the origins of this trophy, despite much research. The only clue lines in the motto displayed on it: ‘Floreat Etona’, or ‘Let Eton flourish’, suggesting that it may have been donated to the Royal Automobile Club by Sir Charles Rolls, co-founder of the Rolls Royce Motor Company and former pupil at Eton College.