History of the Pall Mall Clubhouse
With the rapid growth of interest in motoring, the Club soon outgrew its early premises. Its first headquarters was at 4 Whitehall Court (just two rooms), where it remained until 1902 when it moved to 119 Piccadilly. The Club’s membership had risen from 163 at the end of 1897 to approximately four thousand by 1907.
A grand, state-of-the-art clubhouse was considered desirable to reflect the Club’s burgeoning reputation and fashionable architects Charles Mewès and Arthur Davis were commissioned to carry out the project. They had already been lauded for the recently constructed Ritz hotels in Paris and London, and the interiors of some of the great ocean-going liners of the day.
An eclectic mix of Classical, French, and English architectural styles characterised the new Pall Mall clubhouse, with painstaking detail being lavished on every area, seen and unseen. After three extraordinary years of construction, it finally opened in March 1911 at what was then considered the huge sum of £330,000. A ‘mini-palace of opulence and Edwardian hedonism’ was one exuberant description. From the start, its sporting and recreational facilities, especially the swimming pool and Turkish Baths, were especially admired.