The Aston Martin DB6, Marks 1 and 2, was manufactured between October 1965 and November 1970, at the time the longest production run of any AM model. It was the culmination of the revolutionary Aston Martin DB4 design which had created such a stir when it was first introduced in 1958. Many enthusiasts would also label the DB6 as the last of the ‘classic’ Astons. It was also the first model to be engineered following the factory’s relocation from Feltham to Newport Pagnell.
The DB6 Mk1 (1965-69) directly succeeded the DB5 - the DB6 Mk2 (1969-70) shared many attributes of its succeeding model: the Aston Martin DBS — and was marked particularly by its improved aerodynamics. The re-design of the new tail-end incorporating a sawn-off back and a built-in transverse spoiler as well as the wheelbase being extended by 3.75 ins together made this model ’rock-steady right up to its maximum speed’ (148 mph; acceleration 0-60 mph in 7.0 secs). With the increased wheelbase, height and weight— surprisingly only 17 lbs heavier than the DB5, however – it also left behind the 2 + 2 sports saloon concept and Superleggera (‘super-light’) principle to become a very tolerable 4-seater. With one of the great dashboards, other notable changes to the previous model’s specifications included its side profile, split front/rear bumpers, and rear panels.
1330 Aston Martin DB6 Mk1s were manufactured; the price then was £4998 including tax.
The vehicle displayed here retains its original black Connolly hide, 4.0 litre six-cylinder engine, Borg-Warner automatic gearbox, power steering, and Armstrong Selectaride adjustable suspension.
The car was first registered by Lazenby Garages in Leicestershire to Major Clarke of Market Harborough on 28th June 1968, with the original registration number being 26 HRH. He owned it for over 25 years and covered 42,000 miles during that period. In 1994, it underwent a major restoration by Desmond Smail which included a conversion to lead-free fuel and a change from the original colour to a more modern Salisbury Blue.
The vehicle has subsequently attracted a further seven owners: notable among those were was Mr Heule of Amsterdam who regularly brought the car back to the UK for servicing between 2004 and 2016; and Mr Trenchard of Bath who drove it a further 35,000 miles.
It was recently restored to its original Dawn Blue, one of only three ever produced in that colour.
Car displayed from Tuesday 28 August to Sunday 2 September courtesy of Club member Mr Neil Hampson