This Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 was born in 1939 on the cusp of WWII, and continued in production through the troubled times until 1952. In its mechanical configuration, one can see the engineering genius of Vittorio Jano and his sports and competition cars of the late 1920s and 1930s that built the Alfa legend.
Following in a natural evolution from the 6C 2300B, the 6C 2500 appears in various iterations as sports and competition cars, ministerial sedans and parade cars, ambulances and four-wheel-drive all-terrain vehicles. But, most notably, it’s this chassis on which Europe’s finest coachbuilders chose to display their work.
After the bombing of the Milano Alfa factory in the Summer of 1943, four 6C 2500 chassis (913243, 913247, 913249 and 913252) were consigned to Carrozzeria Garavini, Torino, all on the same date of 11 November 1943. Although it was photographed at manufacture (as recorded in Anselmi’s 6C 2500 volume), there are no further records of 913249’s history.
It is first recorded as being owned by Richard T. DeChambeau of Pittsburgh, PA, U.S.A. on Pennsylvania Title #E10988597; it was subsequently sold to John P. Hoffman of New Bremen, Ohio, U.S.A. on 8 April 1982. In September 2009, it was sold through Platinum Classic Motorcars to Peter N. Heydon of Ann Arbor, MI, its current owner.
Dr. Heydon has undertaken a lengthy and meticulous restoration to return the car to its original configuration. This work was carried out by Frank V. Mollo, Jr., at his SILVERSTONE restoration shop located in West Palm Beach, Florida. Interior trim and upholstery work was accomplished by Mark Larder Upholstery in Homer, Michigan. Since being shipped to the U.K. in March, it has been exhibited at Schloss Bensberg in Germany; the Royal Concourse of Elegance at Hampton Court Palace; the Peter Concours d’Elegance at Chantilly; and the Zoute Concours d’Elegance at Knokke-Heist, Belgium.
Car displayed courtesy of Peter N. Heydon from Tuesday 2 to Sunday 14 January 2018.