Chassis Z11327 was manufactured early in 1935 and was fitted with an ST44 saloon body. It was sold by Glasgow dealers Burton and Tweedy and registered in Edinburgh as WS 6059 in September 1935.
Nothing further is know of the car’s history until it was purchased by a Dutch restorer as a derelict saloon in 2008. Over the next five years it was the subject of a ‘nut and bolt’ restoration. The rebuilt chassis was fitted with a T9 touring body – this having been an optional body style in 1935.
The car retains its original 3.5 litre six-cylinder engine which was the final development of the Lagonda three-litre engine. It was the last of the Lagonda designed engines and only 81 were built. The Lagonda Club register lists only 19 survivors. Claimed power was 88 bhp at 3000 rpm giving a top speed of 85 mph. Although subsequent Lagondas used the same short Z type chassis, they were all fitted with the 4.5 litre Meadows engine.
The gearbox is know as the ‘silent 3rd’ gearbox which uses less noisy helical gears in third. Whilst allegedly quieter than its predecessor, these gears do nothing to improve an already tricky gear change, there being no synchromesh on any gear. Fortunately, the engine’s torque is such that frequent gear changes are not necessary.
WS 6059 successfully completed the Royal Automobile Club 1000 Mile Trial in July, coming 23rd out of 43 starters and (to the owner’s amazement) winning the Concours d’ Elegance award.
Dsiplayed courtesy of Club member, Roy Callow
Photography by Martyn Goddard