This is one of just two Derby Bentleys to be ordered with this rare and elegant Vanden Plas coachwork and finished in cherry red over black with cranberry-piped oyster leather, West of England cloth headlining and silver-inlaid wood veneer.
Chassis B128 KT was supplied new to Messrs Hoffman & Huppert of Vienna. As a stylish and refined two-door sports coupe, the four-seater’s sleek lines must have appealed to Max Hoffman – who soon became famous as the instigator of the Mercedes 300SL ‘Gullwing’ and BMW 507.
The factory guarantee for B128 KT was issued on 1 August 1937 and the first owner was His Excellency, Baron J. van der Elst, who was the Councillor of Legation to The Belgian General Consulate in Vienna.
On 1 August 1938, the car was registered in the UK as Baron van der Elst had sold it following his move to the USA. There have been a handful of owners since then, including Henry Sherek, the well-known theatre impresario and Dorchester Hotel resident.
A major restoration of the car was completed during 2001 and 2007, with further improvements and restoration work being completed in 2016 by Trofeo Cars Ltd. The car is in exceptional condition and a joy to drive. The present owner has recently completed a trip to Angouleme for the Circuit des Remparts event.
Car displayed courtesy of Club member, Alastair Iles.
Photography by Martyn Goddard.