Chassis no. 50006 is the sixth example of the second-series wide-body cars, and one of three originally fitted with the Dubonnet suspension and reversed quarter-elliptic leaf springs. Stamped with Scuderia Ferrari number 46, this car participated in the campaigns of 1935. It is strongly believed that this car was piloted and tested by vaunted drivers like Nuvolari and Varzi. Indeed, this car competed at the 1935 Masyrk Grand Prix in Brno, Czechoslovakia with Antonio Brivio, placing fourth overall. For the 1935 season, the Tipo B proved to be a highly competitive car and accrued a number of overall victories that year, including at the Targa Florio, Modena Grand Prix, and Nuvolari’s highly celebrated victory at the German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring.
In addition to its original chassis and an original 3.2-litre engine stamped SF50A from the famous Alfa Romeo 16C Bimotore, the opening panels of the bonnet are original, as are many of the stampings. Importantly, the included expert report does unequivocally assert that chassis no. 50006 ‘incorporates many original components from the Scuderia Ferrari/Alfa Romeo stock of the 1934-35 period.’ Finally, the report notes that chassis no. 50006 benefits from ‘a substantially unbroken provenance line extending from the Scuderia Ferrari to the present owner’, confirming its authenticity as a true Scuderia Ferrari-campaigned P3 and therefore, a true piece of motor sport history.
Now equipped with a new engine reproduced to the original factory specifications by the respected Jim Stokes Group, assembled and tuned by Hall & Hall, this historically significant Alfa Romeo is also accompanied by the aforementioned 3.2-litre motor.
Displayed courtesy of RM Sotheby’s
Photography by Martyn Goddard