Each month, we create a new booklist from our library collections to mark and explore our motoring heritage. This month’s booklist celebrates the 70th anniversary of the Royal Automobile Club leasing the ‘nascent’ track in 1948. Two of the original three runways of the aerodrome were utilised in the course of Luigi Villoresi winning the 1948 British Grand Prix in a Maserati 4CLT/48.
- Peter Carrick, 1974: Silverstone: The Story of Britain’s Fastest Circuit. London: Pelham Books – useful early narrative of all motor sport events at Silverstone.
- William Court, 1988. Power and Glory: The History of Grand Prix Motor Racing, vol. 1, 1906 – 1951 (2nd ed.). Wellingborough: Patrick Stephens – a proper heavyweight reference featuring Silverstone as we enter the modern Grand Prix era.
- Robert Daley, 1961. Cars at Speed: The Grand Prix Circuit. London: G. T. Foulis. – ‘Silverstone and the stiff upper lip’ chapter – a personal look at the early days of racing at Silverstone.
- Maurice Hamilton, 1991. Grand Prix: British Winners. London: Guinness Pub – seasoned commentator looks back on notable associations of British drivers with particular tracks.
- Ray Hutton (ed.), 1988. 40 Silverstone Years: The Home of British Motor Racing. Croydon: Motor Racing – small, glossy, eclectic look at all matters Silverstone.
- Ibid. (ed.), 1998. Silverstone: Fifty Golden Years. Croydon: Motor Racing Pub – limited ed. celebration of the British Grand Prix’s home commissioned by the BRDC.
- Anthony Meredith & Gordon Blackwell, 2014. Silverstone’s First Grand Prix, 1948: The Race on the Runways. Stroud: Amberley Pub – the full story of that first great Silverstone International Grand Prix race told in personable prose.
- Doug Nye, 1977. The British Grand Prix, 1926-1976. London: B. T. Batsford – short and sharp year-by-year commentary, a proper single pit-lane stop on that year’s GP.
- Chas Parker, 2013. Silverstone: The Home of British Motor Racing. Sparkford, Somerset: Haynes – other formulas too, in a recent year by year encyclopaedia.
- Trevor Pask, 2013. The Early British Grand Prix. Manchester: Nostalgia Road Pub – succinct booklet encapsulating the race’s history.
- Tony Sakkis, 1994. A Guide to Motorsport Circuits of the World. Shrewsbury: Airlife – heavily US-oriented but contains good summaries of the nature and facilities of all tracks; nice entry on Silverstone.
- Alan R. Smith, 1990. Fifties Motor Racing: The GP Scene Through the Lens of Alan R. Smith. Sparkford: Haynes – iconic pictures of early Silverstone action.
Further information on an item is available through the Search the Collections page in the Heritage menu.