The Tipo 6C 1750 arrived in 1929 as a single–cam Turismo and twin-cam Sport version. It was an exciting, fast touring car, combining light weight with sparkling performance – more than 75 mph possible, depending on coachwork. The 1750’s sporting career, which included a clean sweep in the 1930 Ulster TT (with Nuvolari leading a 1-2-3 victory and setting a new class record against extremely strong opposition), extended far beyond its production, which ceased in 1933.
GO6038 has been in the same family since 1958. The chassis left the factory in December 1930 and the car was bodied by James Young of Bromley and first registered in May 1931. The father of the current owners acquired it in 1959 when it was in a very sad state but was driven for a couple of years on a daily basis before it finally stopped. The car then remained in a garage until 1994, when Rees Bros of Aldershot began a ground-up restoration, The ash frame was replaced, the engine rebuilt using strengthened con-rods and new pistons and incorporated a sophisticated sump conversion provided by Jim Stokes Workshops of Waterlooville. The car has been completely re-upholstered, and fitted with a new hood. SilvaBronz was responsible for all the re-chroming. Despite three replacements of various components, the car remains essentially original (many of the surviving 6C 1750s feature replica bodies) and is arguably now one of the best examples of its type.
Car displayed courtesy of Michael and Mark Toynbee, in memory of Club member, W F ‘Bill’ Toynbee (1914—1993) from Monday 6 to Sunday 19 February 2017.